The Green Industry Platform, co-chaired by UNIDO and UNEP, has established a Women in Green Industry Chapter, which aims to benefit female professionals who work in green industry. Responding to the challenges of women facing persistent inequalities with regards to access to resources and opportunities, participation in decision-making processes, and specific vulnerabilities to environmental degradation, the Platform is bringing the nexus of gender and environment to the discussion table, connecting women who share an interest in green industry through this chapter.
All activities of the chapter are closely coordinated with UN Women, Global Action Plan International, and other agencies active in this field, and linked to the Knowledge Gateway for Women’s Economic Empowerment.
In 2014, activities will focus on portraying success stories of female entrepreneurs and leaders, enabling online discussions on the gender-environment nexus, and promoting knowledge sharing and projects dealing with gender aspects in green industrial policy development, along with other outreach activities.
In its efforts to promote stronger engagement and increased decision-making of women at the level of the GIP, and essentially address the issues surrounding women’s empowerment and gender equality in green industrial development, the chapter will engage in the following activities to benefit its members:
- Connecting women in green industry for networking, peer support and exchange
- Expanding access to networking and partnering opportunities on policies and practices that further the particular interest of women in green industry at all levels
- Exposing success stories of female entrepreneurship and leadership in green industry
- Improving information and awareness about the contribution of women in advancing inclusive and sustainable industrial development
- Involving women as speakers at events related to green industry
- Commissioning research on and promoting higher recognition of female leadership in the expanding green industry space
- Gaining access to best policies and best practices at company and project level to increase women’s participation in green industry
To kick-off activities, a series of success stories told by female green industry entrepreneurs will be featured. Nominations of women who have an interest in being profiled can be made by contacting us here.
In mid-June, the first online discussion will be co-organized with UN Women on the topic of women and the environment. Registration will be announced soon.